Tuesday, November 27, 2012
The crockpot is truly the working mom's best friend. How else would I have been able to walk in to my house after a 9-hour workday to the sweet smell of simmering beef, sitting down to a gourmet dinner for my girl and myself in mere minutes? Here's how:
South of the Border De-stress Roast
1. Begin first thing in the morning. Complete all of the get-ready-for-work-and-school tasks, but skip your morning workout. (There's always tomorrow for that.)
2. Coarsely chop an onion and sautée briefly. Dump in bottom of crockpot.
3. Season a 2 lb chuck roast with lots of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and cumin. (A friend suggested chipotle chile powder, which is probably fabulous, but I didn't have any!) Brown all sides of seasoned beef in onion pan and dump in crockpot on top of onions. Top pot w/three coarsely cut carrots and two lime quarters.
4. Pour an entire bottle of beer over beef. Doesn't matter what kind. I used Heineken. Add a little water to cover the meat.
5. Put crockpot on high heat for one hour, then adjust to low. You may now leave for the office.
6. Work an 8+ hour day while crockpot's doing its job.
7. Return home and fully experience the sweet smell of a home-cooked meal. Who prepared this amazing roast dinner while you were away? You did!
8. Serving suggestion: Fresh brussels sprouts (brown in oil/butter and steam a few minutes in white wine), and Mexican rice (follow instructions on packet).
9. Last, but not least: a generous glass of wine for yourself! You deserve it! c:
So so delicious. Applause, applause!
Bonus: There WILL be leftovers! Mexican beef soft tacos anyone?