Wednesday, January 11, 2012

stories



“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.” 
 Garrison Keillor, Pontoon: A Lake Wobegon Novel


Yesterday was my birthday and I can honestly say it was one of the less painful January tenths I've experienced in years. I can't exactly explain why. I tried being a little depressed, as is my usual birthday ritual. This date has never failed to conjure up thoughts of my own inadequecies: "I'm not near where I wanted to be in my life at this age," "Whatever good looks I once had are rapidly fading," "Why didn't (fill in the blank) remember my birthday?" and the ever popular, "Just end this day and kill me now."


True, I wouldn't have chosen many of the events that have led up to my life's current point in time. But I have accumulated great stories along the way featuring good over evil, triumph over tragedy, good comedy, and by all indications, a happy ending. I'm glad I've chosen to share them. Never mind the wrinkles around my eyes, the fact that I've never been to Paris, or that I am not a homeowner at age 48. My lofty goals have been replaced by an authentic existence right here in this place, punctuated by deep and growing friendships. Nothing to whine about. Nothing at all.




* Photo by Melissa Mathieson











No comments:

Post a Comment