Saturday, September 24, 2011

my desert island discs

There's a long-running BBC radio show called "Desert Island Discs"  where guests are asked to list 8 musical selections they would take with them if they were stranded on a desert island. Also one book and one luxury item. Here are my choices ... 

1. Neil Diamond: Cracklin Rosie
My parents hosted fabulous parties when my dad worked at the White House. This record was heavy in the rotation and we heard it in muffled tones from our bedrooms. So cool.
2. Es Ist ein' Ros' Entsprungen (choral rendition) M. Praetorius 
I love choral music. This was played often by my German mother at Christmastime. It brings me closer to my roots and my God and I'll need it on the island.
3. Emmylou Harris: All My Tears
Probably my favorite song sung by my favorite female singer. 
4. Jonatha Brooke: Full Fledged Strangers
Something about her voice does it for me. It'll keep me mellow in the midst of all of the fears and uncertainties I'll encounter on the island.
5. Liz Phair: Extraordinary
The soundtrack to my own personal party.
6. Nickel Creek: Smoothie Song
Gotta have bluegrass. Doesn't get much better than this.
7. My Favorite Things: John Coltraine
Tough to pick a jazz selection, but I could spend hours with this one.
8. The Decemberists: June Hymn
 I've seen this band twice with my family. I love that they love this song as much as I do.

Book: The collected short stories of famous American authors 
Luxury: Toss-up between unlimited supply of good Chardonnay and my guitar. May I have both?
If you could save only one song: Emmylou Harris, All My Tears

No comments:

Post a Comment